The rap mogul Jay Z is partnering with the Weinstein Company to produce a feature film and documentary series about the killing of Trayvon Martin, the teen whose death in 2012 set off nationwide protests.
They will make the film and six-part docu-series after winning a bidding war for the rights to two books about the killing of the unarmed black teenager by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, the trade magazine Variety reported on Thursday.
The case ignited civil unrest across the country and a debate about racial profiling. It also gave birth to the Black Lives Matter movement.
Zimmerman, who claimed he shot Martin in self-defense, was acquitted of a charge of second degree murder in 2013 by a jury in Florida.
The film and series projects will be based on the books “Suspicion Nation: The Inside Story of the Trayvon Martin Injustice and Why We Continue to Repeat It” and “Rest in Power: The Enduring Life of Trayvon Martin,” Variety said.
“Suspicion Nation” recounts the experience of a reporter who covered the trial for NBC. “Rest in Power” is by Martin’s parents.
Another docu-series produced by Jay Z and Weinstein Television that touches on race relations “Time: The Kalief Browder Story” was aired last month.
The six-part series follows the story of a teen arrested in 2010 while walking home for allegedly stealing a backpack. He spent three years in prison — two of them in solitary confinement without a conviction.
After the charges were dropped, he was released from New York’s Rikers Island prison and took his own life.
Nicki Minaj is reportedly re-shooting her latest music video following the terrorist attack in London last week.
The rap star filmed scenes for the ‘No Frauds’ video on Westminster Bridge just a day before three people were killed on the iconic landmark last Wednesday (22.03.17) when a terrorist drove a car into pedestrians but the footage is now unlikely to make the final edit, with Nicki feeling it would be inappropriate.
A source said: “When everybody involved in the project heard the news they were devastated and thought it would be in bad taste to feature it.
“The other London scenes will remain, but it’s highly doubtful the bridge footage will make the cut.”
Nicki who wore a silver-beaded corset and headdress while filming on Westminster Bridge previously paid tribute to the victims of the terrorism incident, which ultimately led to the deaths of five people, on Twitter.
She wrote: “May God protect everyone in London.
“Hate hearing this sad news. Sending my condolences to the victims’ families.”
Last week, meanwhile, Adele dedicated ‘Make You Feel My Love’ to the victims of the London terror attack during her concert in Auckland, New Zealand.
The 28-year-old singer who was born in the UK capital took to the stage at Auckland’s Mt Smart Stadium to send her love to the “friends and family” of the innocent people who lost their lives in the attack.
She said on stage: “Today there was a terror attack in my hometown of London. I feel very far away and very strange not being at home. All I want to do today is just be at home and be with my friends and family.
“Everyone [I know] is fine, but there are people that aren’t fine. So let’s dedicate this to them tonight and to my hometown, which is my soulmate. This is ‘Make You Feel My Love’.”